Want to make money fast? Maybe clear out some clutter and make some space or perhaps you got some new stuff and you want to get rid of what you replaced. Sell on Facebook marketplace. Here are step by step instructions on how to do it.
When our business closed Mike and I were flat broke. We needed to move out of our rental home and we didn’t know where we were going to go so we decided to just sell everything we owned at the time. We figured we could use the money and we wouldn’t have to worry about moving or storing anything. This is when I found Facebook marketplace. Fast forward to when we moved into my grandmother’s house and we were in a slightly different situation. The house was full of stuff we didn’t want so again I turned to Facebook Marketplace. In the past couple years I’ve become sort of an expert at selling on Facebook. So much so I often get asked by friends and family if I can sell stuff for them too. I realised a lot of people have stuff they want to get rid of or need to make some quick cash so I decided to share some of my secrets here today.
Remember when craigslist was the place to sell everything without leaving your house? There was no more hassle of having a yard sale or going to an auction or having to put an item/car in your front yard with a for sale sign. Now you could reach a lot more people with a click of a button and sell your item quickly.
Facebook took notice of this and in a pursuit to make Facebook the only website you ever needed to visit on the internet they created, Facebook marketplace.
FB marketplace took the place of craigslist very quickly. There are 16 million people on Facebook. Which means the amount of people more likely to view your item is 10x that of craigslist. Also Facebook has cut down on scammers by monitoring the marketplace as well as the fact that only Facebook users can posts items for sale. No anonymous users means accountability and a better overall experience for the community. People feel safer so they are more willing to buy.
So use that to your advantage! When I want to make money quickly I start here:
1. Look for items in your house that are gently used like furniture, work out equipment, yard tools, and home decor. Furniture seems to sell the quickest if priced right but you can sell just about anything. Which brings me to this:
2. Once you have found your item, search marketplace for similar items. What are those items selling for? By clicking on the item you can see how long it’s been on the market. Remember value is determined on what the market is willing to pay for it. So if an item has been priced at $70 but has been sitting for a month. That item isn’t priced right and should be dropped in price.
3. Use the correct keywords in the title and description. You are now a salesperson of your own item. So sell it! Why should someone choose your item over someone else’s? Are they even finding your item when they search? Make the person want your item over anyone else. If it is an old desk, use words like vintage desk or describe it better. Does it have a farmhouse look to it? Title it: vintage farmhouse desk. By using these keywords if someone were to type in farmhouse in the search bar, your item will come up as opposed to titling it, desk. Next, in the description, write something that will help your customer use their imagination. Things like “this desk makes a great DIY project!” Or “a little paint and hardware and this desk will be brand new” help the customer picture where the item could go or what they could be doing with the item.
4. Pictures! Window shopping is now done on the internet. As people are scrolling through Facebook, what is going to make them stop on your item? Better pictures! Lighting is key in helping you to sell your item. Take multiple angled shots, even dress it up. Let’s stick with the desk example, you could add a plant, a notebook and a pen. Show them what they are missing out on by not buying your item.
5. Last step, revisit your posts often. If they aren’t selling, consider dropping the price after two weeks on the market. Every few days, fb allows you to renew your post which means it will be bumped to the top of the list. Use this feature to maybe remind someone that is on the fence about your item. Always answer all questions that someone asks you about the item.
Using these 5 steps, your item will be sure to sell in no time! Remember, search the market, price it right, help use a little imagination and BAM, you are on your way to selling your first item quickly!
One additional tip I can share is to make selling on Facebook even easier is to utilize porch pickup. If you feel comfortable with the concept it can make selling much simpler. You don’t have to worry about meeting people or even being home. I can understand if this makes some people uncomfortable but I have found most people to be pretty honest and I have had good experiences both as the seller and buyer.
These steps have helped me sell over $5,000 worth of stuff that I had lying around the house. I hope they help you too! That money really came in handy at a time when we were struggling financially and it felt great to declutter and free up space. I would love to hear from the community any tips that might help sell on FB Marketplace. Comment below and share your success stories!